The Media Challenge Initiative (MCI) is a youth-driven non-profit, building the next generation of journalists in Africa through training, mentorship, and experiential peer-to-peer learning. MCI was founded in 2016 with a vision to train the next generation of journalists and storytellers in Uganda and address the high rates of youth unemployment. MCI is recruiting for the following position:
Job Title: Project Officer Media Innovation
Organisation: Media Challenge Initiative (MCI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Dual Reporting to: CEO/Head, Programs, Strategy and M&E
The jobholder shall oversee the implementation of the Media Viability Project that MCI coordinates in Uganda as part of an East Africa Project Partnership with DW Akademie, Aga Khan University and Tanzania Media Foundation. S/he shall take lead on coordinating various sub-projects under the project within its new flagship Media Challenge Hub Co-working Center, including the Innovators in Residence Program, Media Traineeship Program as well as other related activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the implementation of the innovators in residence project through supporting selected innovators and overseeing their residence, training, coaching, and granting process.
- Supports implementation and coordination of the media viability project including supporting the Media Challenge Hub, Innovators in Residence project, and East Africa Storytelling website.
- Supports development and implementation of the operations strategy of the new Media Challenge Hub Co-working Center in Kampala.
- Develop strong Partnerships to support the scaling of the Innovators in Residence innovations as well as the work of MCI across the region.
- d in marketing the Media Challenge Hub opportunities across Uganda over various online and offline platforms, including the space for entrepreneurs to rent, event space and paid training programs as an income generating project.
- Develop a sustainable business plan for the Media Challenge Hub to continue operations post-project funding.
- Supports in development of multiyear media disruption strategic plans for MCI and innovators in residence.
- Research external and create internal ideas and opportunities for media innovators and entrepreneurs at the Hub through developing a culture of learning, collaboration, and innovation.
- Develops creative and multimedia content to document the progress of the project on social media and for the website including success stories and reports in partnership with the MCI production team.
- Lead on intentionally creating a community of journalism/media innovators at the hub through masterminding a creative environment for innovation, community building and collaboration.
- Lead on creating the promotion strategy for the media hub as the home of media innovation in Uganda.
- Lead on securing funding for the MCI projects to ensure sustainability of the hub projects.
- Develop monitoring and evaluation tools and strategies to monitor the impacts of the media viability projects and continuously improve programs.
- Perform any other duties in fulfillment of the project.
Minimum qualification and working experience: Master’s Degree in Mass Communications, Marketing, Media Management, and Innovation or equivalent. Training in journalism, grant writing, M&E tools, human centered design, and innovation will be an added advantage. Minimum of three years of working experience in media management, grant management, innovation support and community building. Experience working as a disruptive journalist will be a bonus. The candidate must have a practical understanding of the media environment in Uganda and East Africa, key partners, media owners, media development organizations and universities. Closing date is Friday 15th October 2020