OUR PLEDGE TO SERVE!
Aware that …..the right to receive and impart information and ideas through any media is a fundamental human right.Article. 19 UDHR, Article 9 ACHPR & Article 29 of the Constitution of Uganda.
- Mindful that all rights and duties of a journalist originate from this fundamental right.
- Cognisant that in times of crisis, journalists must appeal to their social responsibility to educate, inform and empower the public to make informed decisions.
- Inspired by our belief that journalism can make the world a better place through the stories journalists tell and how the tell them.
- Envisioning an empowered generation of critical journalists who advance positive development and social change.
- Resolve to mobilise the diverse skills of our community of young journalists to contribute to the global efforts of fighting COVID 19 through this dedicated space. It will include media resources on Corona reporting, among other things but FIRST WE START WITH THIS CAMPAIGN
Translating corona virus prevention Messages in our local Languages
A group of Media Challenge Fellows 2019 came together to mobilise the community of 70+ Fellows to translate corona virus awareness and prevention messages into their local languages. Aware that most of the messages are in English leaving out a big number rural Ugandans and some urban Ugandans, MCI Fellows adapted Ministry of Health information into a simple script and invited the community members to translate the script into their native languages.
Action: Voicing the script
On a fun filled day, fellows were invited to MCI offices to voice the translated scripts. A number of triple takes and boooom….we have very good audio messages to share with the world.
- We are sharing the audio clips on our website here for anyone to share
- We are sharing them widely via our social media platforms -https://soundcloud.com/media-challenge-academy Facebook @Media Challenge Initiative
- We are sharing the content with community radio station that air in specific local languages
- All our fellows will be invited to share the clips in their communities via whatsapp
Message In Rutooro
Message In Luganda
Message In Kinyarwanda
Messange in Langi
Messange in Arabic
Message in Japhadola
Message in Lingala
Message in Ateso
Message In Lusoga
Message in English
Message in French
Message in Kiswahili
Message in Lugisu
Message In Somali
Message in Lugbara
THE VIRAL CAMPAIGN- We are in this together: Leaving no one behind
Only 15 languages are translated so far compared to 40+ languages spoken in Uganda. However we want to translate this script into all languages in Uganda and this is how you come in. Because we do not have resources to hire translators, we are appealing to your volunteer spirit to contribute to this cause.
DO YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER AS A TRANSLATOR?
- You sign up here and we send you the English script. Contact Us
- You translate the script to your language. Share with someone you trust to review it.
- If you are in Kampala, you can come to our production studio and we record you.
- Alternatively, you can also find a quiet place and record yourself using your phone
- Record 3 takes and once you are satisfied send the audio to us and we will do the final post production
- Give us consent by accepting that we credit your name at the end of the production
- After post production, we shall post the audio on our website and our social media platforms with your photo (with your consent) and name credited.
- We shall also send you the final production to share with your community